P101-018 Invitation for Applications for Senior Water Expert
Project Holder:Ministry of Water Resources Development
Project:Feasibility Studies and Full Proposal Development
Fund:Somaliland Development Fund Phase 2
IFA Title:Senior Water Expert
The Somaliland Development Fund – Phase 2 (SDF2) covers the period 2018 – 2023. SDF2 is conceived as an inclusive economic development programme. It supports the GoSL in delivering infrastructure that is relevant for inclusive economic development. It focuses on sustainable investments that spur job creation and fast growth, while at the same time laying the foundation for long-term resilience and development, leading to a more stable and peaceful Somaliland. SDF2’s support is fully aligned with government priorities as defined in the National Development Plan 2 (NDP2) 2017-2021 and reflect the priorities set out in Somaliland Vision 2030.
The Ministry of Water Resources Development (MoWRD) has developed a Project Concept Note. The proposed project shall have the following 5 outputs namely: 1) Capacity Development of MoWRD; 2) Drilling of a borehole and water distribution system in Widh Widh village; 3) Drilling of a borehole and water distribution system in Dharkayn Geeyo village; 4) Drilling of a borehole and water distribution system in Goljanno village; and 5) dam design/construction and water distribution system in Farawayne town/village. The combined beneficiaries of the above mentioned 4 water distribution systems is around 23,000 people. Currently, all these villages/people are suffering from lack of water and they have to travel several kilometres to get water. This concept note has been approved by the SDF2 Joint Steering Committee (JSC).
The SDF Secretariat is therefore seeking the services of a Senior Water Short-Term Expert (STE) to support the MoWRD in conducting the necessary preliminary consultations, assessments and development of a full proejct proposal.
Required qualifications, skills and experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Science, Water Supply Engineering, or equivalent;
- Excellence in strategic planning and thinking;
- Demonstrated excellent command of spoken and written English;
- Excellent writing skills; and
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomatic, computer, and organizational skills.
- Extensive previous experience (minimum 10 years) in implementing rural water and sanitation (WASH) projects in fragile and conflict affected countries;
- Proven understanding of Project Cycle Management (PCM), Logical Framework Approach (LFA), Theory of Change (ToC), Procurement Planning;
- Demonstrated understanding of the contribution of the water sector to economic development;
- High level of attention to detail with writing, proofreading, and editing;
- Demonstrated time management, organizational, and project management skills required;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively within a cross-functional team, fast-paced, and deadline-driven environment.
- At least 8 years’ experience in designing and supervising/managing projects related to rural /urban water development in fragile and conflict affected country(s);
- Conducted at least 2 feasibility or prefeasibility study for a rural or urban water system in the last 3 years;
- Developed at least 3 funded project proposal in the last 5 years on development project.
- Designed and wrote proposal for an urban water system for a least 2 projects in the last three years.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their applications (cover letter and CV) to the Somaliland Development Fund Secretariat through e-mail
Full Terms of Reference can be found here.
Any attempt by a candidate to influence the outcome of the recruitment process in any way which can be interpreted as canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification from being considered for this position.
This Consultancy is open to Somaliland and International Candidates.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.