P101-081 Invitation for Applications for Materials Engineering Expert
|Project Holder||Ministry of Transport and Roads Development (MoTRD)|
|Project||Burao-Berbera Road Rehabilitation Project|
|Fund||Somaliland Development Fund Phase 2|
|IFA Title||Materials Engineering Expert|
The Somaliland Development Fund – Phase 2 (SDF2) covers the period 2018-2024. SDF2 is conceived as an inclusive economic development program. It supports the GoSL in delivering infrastructure that is relevant for inclusive economic development. It focuses on sustainable investments that spur job creation and fast growth, while at the same time laying the foundation for long-term resilience and development, leading to a more stable and peaceful Somaliland. SDF2’s support is fully aligned with government priorities as defined in the National Development Plan 2 (NDP2) 2017-2021 and reflect the priorities set out in Somaliland Vision 2030.
The SDF has allocated funds to the Ministry of Transport and Roads Development (MoTRD) for the implementation of the Burao-Berbera Road Rehabilitation Project. As a part of this project, MoTRD would like to engage the services of a Materials Engineering Expert with extensive experience in road construction projects to conduct training needs assessment for MoTRD laboratory staff and deliver training on material testing and quality assurance. The SDF Secretariat is therefore inviting qualified Experts to apply for the position.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Qualifications and skills
- At least a Bachelor's degree in either Civil Engineering, Material or Geotechnical engineering.
- Registration with relevant recognised professional body is a must.
- Proven facilitation, analytical and report writing skills (must submit at least three (3) website links for proof and/or report/publications list in CV for assessment as the main author).
- Demonstrated excellent command of spoken and written English.
General professional experience
- Minimum of 10 years' experience working as in road construction materials, existing pavement evaluation, geotechnical investigation, testing and pavement design highway construction, particularly in tropical countries.
- Work experience in East and Horn of Africa context is required.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building (training, coaching) of teams.
- Proven experience of using modern road laboratory equipment.
Specific professional experience
- Have at least six (6) years' experience as in-charge of road quality laboratory, quality control tests in projects like the one being implemented by MoTRD/RDA.
- Have conducted at least 2 similar training for laboratory staff on road construction materials, quality, and performance tests in the last 5 years.
- Materials Engineering Expert on at least one asphalt road rehabilitation/construction projects in the last 5 years.
As part of the selection process, candidates will be requested to provide examples of verifiable project reports from their most recent or relevant assignments. Links to reports which are available online can be provided as a part of the application.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application (cover letter and CV) to the Somaliland Development Fund Secretariat through e-mail
Any attempt by a candidate to influence the outcome of the recruitment process in any way which can be interpreted as canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification from being considered for this position.
This Consultancy is open to Somaliland and International Candidates.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.