Invitation for Applications
|Project Holder||Ministry of Water Resources Development|
|Project||Las Anood Water Supply Project|
|Fund||Somaliland Development Fund Phase 2|
|IFA Title||Hydrogeological Investigations and Geophysical Survey Expert|
The Somaliland Development Fund – Phase 2 (SDF2) covers the period 2018 – 2023. SDF2 is conceived as an inclusive economic development programme. It supports the GoSL in delivering infrastructure that is relevant for inclusive economic development. It focuses on sustainable investments that spur job creation and fast growth, while at the same time laying the foundation for long-term resilience and development, leading to a more stable and peaceful Somaliland. SDF2’s support is fully aligned with government priorities as defined in the National Development Plan 2 (NDP2) 2017-2021 and reflect the priorities set out in Somaliland Vision 2030.
The objectives of the consulting services are:
- To conduct hydrogeological investigations and geophysical surveys in 3 locations in Gojade area, Las Anod, that were identified by another consultant in 2015 and to prepare hydrogeological/geophysical investigation report, borehole drawings, bill of quantities, technical specifications and workplans as part of the bid documents for drilling of the 3 boreholes; and
- To further assess Las Anod area and conduct hydrogeological investigations and geophysical surveys to identify more borehole sites (as close as possible to Las Anod town) to supply the current and future population of Las Anod town (with a 25 years design horizon). i.e., Las Anod 2020 daily water demand is estimated to be around 2,156M3/day while the year 2045 daily water demand will reach be around 10,188M3/day. Therefore, we expect the STE to site around 10 boreholes assuming an average yield of 50M3/hr. This is our estimate and we expect the expert to advise SDF/MoWRD on the number of boreholes required. Based on the findings, the consultant/expert is expected to prepare geomorphologic and structural features of the area, hydrogeological/geophysical investigation report, borehole drawings, bill of quantities, technical specifications and workplans as part of the bid documents for drilling of the identified/proposed boreholes.
The Somaliland Development Fund Secretariat now invites applications from qualified Individual Hydrogeological Studies Experts to provide the above services.
Required qualifications, skills and experience
- At least a Bachelor of Science Degree in Geology is required. Master of Science in Geology/hydrogeology or related field is an advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to use and interpret variety of geophysical instruments is required;
- Demonstrated excellent command of spoken and written English. Fluency in Somali will be added advantage; and
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- At least 10 years demonstrated experience in water supply field especially in ground water assessment, borehole design and drilling activity.
- Minimum of 10 years conducting similar studies in Somaliland and/or East Africa. The consultant must demonstrate that he/she have conducted at least five similar assignments in the last 3 years with 80% drilling success rate;
- Knowledge and experience in Somaliland ground water resources assessment would be important.
Full Terms of Reference can be found here.
Any attempt by a candidate to influence the outcome of the recruitment process in any way which can be interpreted as canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification from being considered for this position.
This Consultancy is open to Somaliland and International Candidates.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.