Invitation for Applications (readvertisement)
|Project Holder||Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries Development|
|Project||Artisanal Fisheries Project, Sanaag Region|
|Fund||Somaliland Development Fund|
|IFA Title||Senior Fisheries Expert|
The Somaliland Development Fund – Phase 2 (SDF2) covers the period 2018 – 2023. SDF2 is conceived as an inclusive economic development programme. It supports the GoSL in delivering infrastructure that is relevant for inclusive economic development. It focuses on sustainable investments that spur job creation and fast growth, while at the same time laying the foundation for long-term resilience and development, leading to a more stable and peaceful Somaliland. SDF2’s support is fully aligned with government priorities as defined in the National Development Plan 2 (NDP2) 2017-2021 and reflect the priorities set out in Somaliland Vision 2030.
The Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries Development (MoLFD) has developed a Project Concept Note on fisheries development. The proposed project seeks to enhance artisal fisheries value chain by strengthening the cooling and cold storage systems, improving the transport through provision of refrigerated trucks and building fish markets in Sanaag coast. The proposed project will build on the achievements made during SDF Phase 1.
The SDF Secretariat is therefore seeking the services of a Senior Fisheries Short-Term Expert (STE) to support the MoLFD in the conducting necessary preliminary consultations, assessments and development of a full project proposal as per the SDF approved proposal format.
As you are aware, the World Health Organization on 11 March 2020 officially classified the COVID-19 outbreak as a pandemic, indicating that all countries are likely to be affected, though the exact timing and impact cannot be predicted. A growing number of countries have imposed public health measures to curb the spread of the virus including border closures, restrictions on international travel, restrictions on internal movement, closures of some non-essential facilities, and community lockdowns.
We are cognizant that these public health measures will impact schedule and correspondingly, the SDF Secretariat will comply with the public health measures and only mobilize the selected consultant once the COVID-19 issue has been settled and situation is stable. Please go ahead and apply in confidence knowing all due consideration will be taken prior to taking the assignment.
Required qualifications, skills and experience
Qualifications and skills
* Demonstrated excellent command of spoken and written English; and
* Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
* Extensive previous experience (minimum 12 years) in implementing Fisheries development projects in coastal rural communities in developing countries;
* Proven understanding of Project Cycle Management (PCM), Logical Framework Approach (LFA);
* Demonstrated experience in conducting feasibility appraisal for artisanal fisheries projects; and
* Demonstrated understanding of contribution of the artisanal fisheries sector to economic development.
* At least 8 years’ experience in designing and supervising/managing fisheries development projects fragile and conflict affected country(s);
* Designed and wrote at least one project proposal for the artisal fisheries sector in the last three years; and
* Demonstrated understanding of the fisheries value chain for rural coastal communities.
How to apply
Full Terms of Reference can be downloaded here.
Any attempt by a candidate to influence the outcome of the recruitment process in any way which can be interpreted as canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification from being considered for this position.
This Consultancy is open to Somaliland and International Candidates.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged